Friday, March 21, 2008

Why?

The question has been dominating my thoughts almost for two years now.

I think that the roots go back to Techfest.

"क्यों ? क्यों करना चाहते हो ये Techfest?"

This was the crux of all the questions bombarded on me from left, right and center in that 4 hour long 'treat' that changed my life, as it did for 21 other people with me, as it does for 22 other people every year.

The answers vary. But the fact is - the answers exist -
from sensible to weird, everyone does have an answer.
" I want to do this fest because it's a huge challenge in front of me - to do something this big , is an opportunity of lifetime"
" अरे , दुनिया को दिखाना है, मेरी g@#$d में भी दम है !! मैं भी कुछ कर सकता हूँ !"
And with such dreams, such aspirations, everyone starts his journey

A year later, when he has done his share for the fest, comes the period - popularly called "The Void" of a manager's life. "The Void" - this term has been coined for the period of life of a manager when he suddenly realises - he doesn't have any work left. The thing that ate up ~20 hrs/day of his life for the past one year - is suddenly - over. He doesn't know what to do with his time.

It was this void that killed me. I tried to find solace in Yahoo! Messenger, my PT, job hunt and CAT preparation, and some time down the line, in my job..but nothing has seemed to fill up the void completely.

The one year old " Why Techfest" had eventually given rise to the question - " Why life".

There was one difference this time - I didn't know the answer.

The tragedy is - I still don't know the answer.

Do you have any answers?



Music : Godsmack : Why do we dream .....



9 comments:

Hg said...

Welcome. I hope you enjoy your stay.

-H

Vartika said...

I never engaged myself in any activity demanding this long a commitment in the insti...did i miss on the experience or did i save myself from the void and the 'why's!?

Metallica bhakt! said...

The void is unavoidable..after an infinite hectic schedule comes the time to relax..but yet the not-so-busy schedule gets on to u so much that its unavoidable!

musketeer said...

@Hg
Thanks!

@ Vati
Life at IIT is too short to do everything - its just a matter of choice on what u finally do or miss here. So, its not about missing the experience or something like that - you probably did the things that I missed out.
Given that, comparing the experience and the void, the experience was much much much more enriching, and if the void came as a side-effect - I am glad that I didn't miss out on the experience because of the void. And, who knows, probably the void was meant for a geeater thing, that I may discover in future.

@ Metall...
Yeah, it is unavoidable - but I've seen people who could move on to greater things immediately - As I said earlier, I dont know that whatever happened was for good or not, but I'd have been happier if I'd have been involved immediately with something.

Joywalker said...

You seem a calmer, more thoughtful you. Well written, keep writing!

The PAF one actually made me think. Quite an interesting read.

I also came across another article about Jobs and such on an IITian's website. You forgot to acknowledge someone whose idea you were repeating ;)

some random character said...

The answer lies with you!

The “void” seems to have been created by the absence of a sense of purpose and passion or intellectual challenge that drives the human soul and mind!

it is bcos of not having a passion for whatever it is you are doing now.... and that is by your choice! So ditch it and find something that you are passionate about, something that is intellectually challenging and purposeful!

musketeer said...

@ Positive -

I also think it's about passion. But a passion that big - I've not been able to find yet.

btw, who are you? ;)

Upadhi said...

Life without a F is a lie!! I just read it somewhere...and dont get ideas...I mean friends family!!

Why Life...you will understand with each phase you live and when each of it becomes a lifetime...It just wont be a perpetual question but it will keep popping up in between!

We can discuss if you want :)

Abha said...

good question..has invoked me to post something.